Are you looking for a new hair inspo? There are so many different ways to dye hair, but if you want to put a highlight for your hairstyle, let opt for two color hair dying. As its name states, two color hair dying has different tones. It can be done top and bottom, left and right, or front and back. There are no fixed rules for dying hair in multiple colors, so you can create various styles to change your look. But how to make it? This article will give you a guide on two tone coloring and some awesome styles to try.
What exactly is two color hair dying?
You may probably think of highlights and ombre. But two tone coloring covers more than that. 2 color hair dye ideas include the following 5 main types:
- Highlights: Highlights refer to the narrow strips of hair on your head that have been made a lighter color than the surrounding hair.
- Ombre/Balayage: In this style, you will dye and blend the hair with the dark color on the top and the light color on the bottom.
- Dip Dye: Dip dye is a classic two tone coloring technique that usually involves coloring the bottom part or tips of your hair in a different color.
- Split Tone: This two-tone dying technique involves coloring the hair on one side of your parting with one color and the other side in another color. Normally, people will go for a middle parting to make this style.
- Peek a Boo: With this hidden hair color style, you need to choose a colorful hair dye tone and apply it to the middle layers of the hair. The color will then lie between your top layers of hair. It looks like it is “peeking” or “hiding” under hair layers.
There might be many more tones for dying hair in multiple colors, depending on your creativeness.
How to make two color hair dying?
Having your hair dyed at salons can be costly, so we will guide you with some simple steps to make stunning two tone coloring at home. Please note that there may be many different ways to dye hair in two tone color. And in this article, we give you an instruction of the basic method.
- Step 1: Choose and purchase two colors of home hair dye. You can easily buy them from a grocery store or pharmacy.
- Step 2: Put on an old T-shirt to avoid the hair dye stain your clothes. You should also use some smear petroleum jelly around your hairline, behind your ears, and at the back of your neck. After that, let part your hair in a straight line where you want the colors to divide. Then, use some clips or ponytail holders to fasten the hair portion that you are going to dye with the darker color.
- Step 3: After mixing the lighter color according to the directions, you need to apply the hair dye thoroughly to the unclipped section of the hair. Then, leave it there for the instructed time and rinse your hair until the water runs clear. And make sure you do it carefully so as not to wet the undyed section. But in case the undyed section gets wet, you can wait until it’s dry.
- Step 4: Fasten the dyed section with some clips or hair bands. After that, mix and apply the darker hair dye according to the instructions. Wait for the hair dye to absorb within the time guided in the hair dye package and rinse your hair section. But be careful not to let the hair section you have just dyed in step 3 gets wet.
- Step 5: Remove the hair bands and apply the conditioner that comes with the hair dye. Leave the conditioner on for about 2 minutes (or a bit longer, as in the instruction), and rinse your hair. So now you just need to wait for your hair to be dry and enjoy a new look.
10 best styles for two tone coloring
You are free to create your own version of two color hair dying. But if you feel unsure how it looks, let check out the following 2 color hair dye ideas.
Framing your face with highlights can be a smart way to tone up your facial contours. And you don’t need to do much with the dying process. Sometimes less speaks more.
By mixing and matching bold hues, this 2 color hair dying can take your ombré to a new height. To get this dreamy look, you will need to dye your roots in purple and use the pink shade in the mid-lengths and ends.
Black and fiery red
This combo to kill will be an excellent choice for those who want to go for two color hair dying. The highlight of this two-tone color lies in the black color that cleverly appears on the bangs and around the head’s crown.
Grey and white two-tone
Many people think that grey will make them look “elderly”. However, this charming two-tone grey can instantly change your thoughts. By mixing with a block of white, this two color hair dying idea is a perfect option for those who want to go grey with a brand-new color choice.
Peek-a-boo bob with fuchsia streaks
Whichever way you make a peek-a-poo, it should have an added pop of color. But it depends on your imagination to create this “pop”. You can change the color based on your haircut and your overall goal. However, the color should look like it is peeking throughout your hair. And at the same time, it creates the movement and dimension for your hairstyle.
Blonde in front, brown in back
Apart from dying hair multiple colors horizontally, you can choose to combine the colors vertically. And to put a highlight for the overall style, we suggest you pick a lighter color for the front part. You can try blonde in the front and brown in the black.
For those who are afraid of stark contrast, simply increase the vibrancy of your original hair color. Choosing bright or vibrant colors to contrast your roots and dying your hair in an ombre style will bring you a stunning double tone effect.
This playful and youthful hairstyle is crazily trending among beauty followers. Unicorn hair color is a perfect choice for those who fall for pastel color and want to try two-tone hair.
Pink and Black Two-tone
This hair color combination is in the craze since it’s both playful and badass. The counteraction of the bright pink softness with the dark black side of the hair gives off a nice girl/bad girl vibe. And to achieve this style, you must maintain a clear middle part. You will need to bleach one side of your hair and apply each color evenly so that it isn’t mixed into the other.
Aquamarine and Silver
Mermaid styles are so popular right now. And this aquamarine lob will surely take your look to a new level. To get this style, you will need to apply a base color of turquoise. The top sections and face-framing pieces are bleached and dyed a bright silver shade. And what enhances this two color hair dying idea is the different cuts for the top and bottom hair. V-cut layers lie against blunt and finely chopped ones.
And above are our tips on making two-tone dying and some gorgeous ideas for you. So let get started and change your look with a new awesome color now. And don’t forget to follow Luxshine Hair‘s blog for more tips and info.